I am most definitely a cat person, therefore it was no surprise that I immediately leaned toward the cat themes in this project, although, this could just as easily be replicated with the dog layout. Believe it or not, but, this is my first vignette project, and I have been meaning to do such a project for ages, so I was so excited when this was the vision I had for the PAWFECT release!
- I purchased this box, measuring 15x21cm, from PNA.
- I’m not sure whether this step is necessary, but I gave the entire box a coat of chalk paint as a primer. Having a base colour also helps if there are areas where the paper strips do not align perfectly (instead of seeing the raw pressed wood).
- While the paint dried, I measured and cut all the paper pieces to cover all sides/edges of the box.
- I then used mod podge to decoupage all the panels onto the box. I applied 2 coats of the podge.
- While the podge dried, I prepared the 3 resin corners using a quick setting resin and a Stamperia soft mould. These could easily be replaced with chippies or metal findings.
- The resin corners, and the 2 chippies (cat and the saying) were painted with acrylic paint. I love the Finnabair Metallique paints because they provide a lot of interest resulting from the shimmery-ness of the paints (difficult to capture in the photos).
- I then applied Finnabair Metallique wax to give texture and dimension and adhered the pieces to the 4 corners.
- I applied paint along all the edges using a dry brush technique to give a more vintage and aged look to the box. This also helps to cover up any misaligned paper strips.
- The 5 cats were cut from the second layout and layered over the inside panel using foam tape to give some dimension.
- I then adhered the sentiment in position, taking into account the height of the leafy stems in the corner “vase”.
- The stems and flowers were die-cut from watercolour cardstock that had been sprayed with distress inks/mica sprays/painted with the Metallique paints in coordinating colours.
- The tiny glass jar/vase was hot glued to the inside of the box, and the leaf stems and flowers were arranged inside it.