When I start a page layout, I first get out all the possible stencils, stamps, embossing folders and punches which work with the paper. In this case I found two stencils and a stamp set as well as an embossing folder.
I then set about embossing plain white card stock and inking over it with Jet Black Archival Ink, using the inkpad directly over the embossed feather. This works fabulously as the ink pad is so hard and won’t go into the lower parts of the embossed feather.
I also created my own stamp with the feather embossing folder by using craft foam in the folder and then cutting it out with a slight edge. It prints really well with Distress Oxide Ink or Archival Ink.
Then I cut the one page just past the dream catcher and turned the paper over so the feathers were showing and glued the paper back together using the cut off strip along the bottom of the page.
Having done that, I used Pumice Stone Distress Marker and a water pen to create a drop shadow on the feathers and the dreamcatcher.
After that, I used Finn’s Platinum Crackle Texture Paste through the stencils and hung them in the winter sun to dry.
Now that the crackle is dry and I have chosen my photos I set about inking up the bottom of the page with Cracked Pistachio Distress Oxide ink using an applicator foam, as well as just inside the dream catcher. This helped show up the pale crackle against the background and match the colour of the dress in the photos.
I always like a lot of photos on a page and want them to tell the story so I made sure that they matched each other in height and width so that I could get a uniform overall geometric layout. I used my scissor blade to distress the edges of the photos as I was not matting them on cardstock. The main photo edges got inked with the same Cracked Pistachio Distress Oxide ink to link it to the rest of the photos as it had been printed in sepia. I also tore a piece of the photo on purpose and inked the curl over.
Having designed the photo layout, I then found some chipboard letters in my stash and painted them black with craft paint.
While this was drying, I cut out the feather which I had inked and added foam tape to the back of it.
I glued down the letters and stamped the home made feather stamp on the bottom of the page and finished it off by adding some half pearls to the letters and the dreamcatcher.
In the end, I used the stencils and the embossing folder, but did not use the stamp set I first took out. Just because you have it… doesn’t mean you have to use it all. I like to have everything to hand and work from there…