I have a 13-year-old son and so I love using this Ooh La Limited Brush, Marx & Co. range for the photos I take of him and us as a family. Luckily I have a Selphy CP1300 printer so I can print my own photos straight from my phone or computer onto 4”x6” paper, either full size, with a border, or 3 up on a sheet or more, in which case, the printer decides which photo to place where and make what size… Kind of like potluck photo printing, but at least it means I can get lots of photos into a mini album.
There are a lot of mini album patterns and ideas out there on the web from fairly simple to really complicated… I love the look of them but often find they are too fussy for my liking and so I developed this way of folding the paper to make my own pockets.
I set out to use as much of the paper from this range as possible as my base paper without too many sheets of coloured cardstock. I did use one sheet of Bazzil Pinecone to mat my photos on and make a pocket. The tags were die cut using Tim Holtz tag die with Lady Pattern Paper’s white cardstock and inked. If you use the die, you can get 4 Tags out of a sheet cut to 5” x 7”, but if you cut them manually by hand, then you can get 8 tags 3” x 6” out of a sheet!
I used a plain A4 cardboard ring binder file to create this mini album by cutting it down to 7, 2/8” in height and by 5,5” in depth from the fold of the spine for the front and back covers. You could even do this with a lever arch file too, but you would have to make sure that you can have a 5” page from where the front of the hoop is when the album is closed… Use what you have!
I used a standard office punch to punch my holes for the ring binder.
Using the principal of a 5”x7” page which will comfortably fit a standard jumbo photo which is 4”x6” large, I cut the 12” x 12” sheets into two strips. One being 5” x 12 “ and the other 7” x 12”. From there I folded the paper in different ways to make it more interesting and to create pockets into which I could add more photos.
I used one of each sheet of paper to make the pages of this mini album, but two of the “Canvas” sheet and three of the “Hearts” sheets because I used it on the cover as well.
A 1,1/2 inch circle punch was used to create the half circle finger hole at the edge of the pockets. When you are creating your pockets, you can punch before you glue your pockets or flaps. However, if you are going to be glueing photos on the page that can be punched into, then I glue the photos first before I punch the finger hole.
The lettering on the pages is done using a sticker sheet from my stash. Due to the fact that I ran out of letters… I used the “scrabble” board style to get my titles to work on my Easter page.
Starting with the first page created from the 5”x 12” strip of “Dotty” paper, I folded the page at 5” and glued the sides together to create a giant pocket. Cut a 4.2/8” x 12” strip of Pinecone Bazzil cardstock, folded it in half and trimmed my photos down to fit the mini booklet. I stapled the ribbon on as a pull-out, before adding my top photo. The word “Summertime” was torn out of the Word sheet called Bounce. The “Live for the moments” strip also came from this sheet. I added the mini tags for journaling and the tiny photo of the ice-cream van from my stash of die cuts.
Page 2 is created from the 7” x 12” strip of “Dotty” paper with the narrow fold on the left-hand side to create the pocket for the tag and the larger area for the 6 mini photos. To decorate the tag, I tore the “Live a colourful life” strip out of the blue rectangle on the “Bounce” sheet and used the rest of the rectangle to decorate the top and bottom of the pocket. I punched the holes for the binder right through the pocket.
Page 3 is the 7” x 12” strip from “Minimal” and has the pocket on the inside of the page flapping outwards from the right.
Page 4 is the same as page two using “Hearts” paper. Only this time I added a full-size photo on a mat in the inside pocket and created a pocket on the outside with some of the pinecone Bazzil paper for a tag onto which I will journal later. The Chipboard wording is from Celepbr8 and coloured with Dylusions Bubblegum pink Shimmer spray. I used double-sided tape to add a ribbon to the flap to help lift the page.
Page 5 is made using the 5”x12” “Retro” sheet which I folded up to make a large pocket the same as page one but then bent it back down on itself to create a little pocket for the “Dream Big” word block which I cut smaller to fit.
Page 6 is the rest of the “Retro” sheet, with the pocket glued back on itself so that it faced the edge of the outside page. On my tag in the pocket, I added a little oval die cut and a chipboard arrow from my stash so that people know there is something in there to be pulled out.
Page 7 is the rest of the “Minimal” sheet
Page 8 is using the 7” x 12” “Canvas” sheet and created by cutting out the inside of the little heart with a scalpel blade and gluing a tiny photo of my son into it, before I then glued the whole pocket to itself so that it is no longer a pocket, but hides the photo I added in the heart.
Page 9 is the rest of the “Canvas” sheet.
Cover: The inside of the spine of the folder was painted with brown craft paint before I glued any paper down. To cover the folder, I started with the front of the cover by glueing the Hearts paper right around the spine with the Hearts facing out. I used double-sided tape to hold it on the corners where it folds and did not glue the paper down on the spine so that it could move a bit as it opens. I then glued the dots on the back cover, cut the corners at 45 degrees and glued them to the front and back of the cover. To make it look neat, I added the two pieces of “Canvas” sheets with the heart piece inside the front cover to carry on with my theme.
The chipboards on the cover were in my stash of stuff, but I think they came from Celebr8. They were painted with the same brown craft paint and the title was backed by a piece of white cardstock.